Feisal worked in New York as a lawyer for two years before moving to Pakistan. He has been ranked as one of the top litigators in Pakistan by Chambers & Partners since 2008.
In addition to handling commercial and constitutional disputes in Pakistani courts, Feisal has a particular interest in arbitration and international disputes. He has represented Pakistan in several disputes with India under the Indus Waters Treaty and has acted both as an arbitrator and as a counsel in numerous international matters. He has also done extensive consulting work, including assignments for the ADB, the World Bank, UNDP and USAID on topics such as the independence of the judiciary, the ease of doing business in Pakistan and the renewable energy sector in Pakistan.
Feisal is a well-known writer and commentator on public issues. Over the years, he has written regular weekly columns for practically all the major English newspapers in Pakistan. Feisal has also written in the international press including for the Guardian, the Washington Post, Newsweek Middle East and 3QuarksDaily.com. He also appears regularly on television shows to discuss legal and other topics.
- J.D., Yale Law School, 1994
- A.B. (magna cum laude), Princeton University, 1990
- Advocate of the High Courts (1997)
- Advocate of the Supreme Court of Pakistan (2008)
- Bar of the State of New York (1994)
- Bar of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (1996)
- Listed arbitrator at the Dubai International Arbitration Center, the Singapore International Arbitration Center, and the Kuala Lumpur Regional Center for Arbitration.
- Member of the Federal Board of Investment (2016)
- Joined Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson (NY) in 1994
- Established Bhandari and Naqvi in 1998
- Established Bhandari, Naqvi & Riaz (BNR) in 2003
- Merged with Haidermota & Co in 2013
- Demerged with Haidermota & Co in 2019
- Acted as an arbitrator in Dubai in relation to numerous property disputes.
- Counsel for the Government of Pakistan in relation to disputes with India arising under the Indus Waters Treaty, 1960.
- Counsel for Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif, the Prime Minister of Pakistan, in an election matter before the Supreme Court of Pakistan.
- Counsel for Tethyan Copper Company in parallel ICSID/ICC proceedings against the Government of Pakistan.
- Counsel for Zonergy Company Limited in proceedings regarding tariff applicable to 900MW solar energy project.
- Represented claimants in first ever suit for damages under the Central Depositaries Act, 1997; claimants were awarded damages of Rs. 550 million.
- “He’s got fire in his belly” and can “chase the detail” of a case (Chambers 2008)
- “a clear lateral thinker and a skilled lawyer” (Chambers 2009)
- “impressed us hugely – he is persistent, hard-working and technically very sound, and can quickly grasp the issues with minimum analysis and turn them into a strong case.” (Chambers 2010)
- “one of the most impressive lateral thinkers around.” (Chambers 2011)
- “sophisticated understanding of legal issues and practical, commercial advice.” (Chambers 2012)
- “Feisal is considered one of the best lawyers in the country and has lived up to this reputation whenever we have needed his advice and guidance on our legal matters. He is reachable and, most importantly, available to us whenever required.” (Chambers 2022)
Areas of Expertise
- Securities Law
- Constitutional Law and Legal Reform