Mian Sami ud Din is a Partner at Bhandari Naqvi Riaz. He specialises in international arbitration and has in-depth experience of acting in arbitration matters under the LCIA, ICC, SIAC, ICSID, and UNCITRAL rules. He also regularly appears to argue before the High Courts of Pakistan in commercial dispute matters.His work primarily arises out of the energy sector, oil & gas, construction, public-private contracts, international trade, company matters and securities regulation, and the telecommunication. He has particular expertise in cross-border litigation and matters relating to conflict of laws and has advised and represented clients in cases involving multiple court jurisdictions and applicable laws.
Sami has been appointed to the panel of arbitrators of the SAARC Arbitration Council. He also acts as a Judicial Officer appointed by the Pakistan Rugby Union to hear disciplinary matters arising out of national rugby matches in Pakistan under the World Rugby Regulations.
He is a contributor to the Pakistan chapter of the Arbitration 2019 – Getting the Deal Through published by Law Business Research; and a contributor to the peer-reviewed International Journal of Arbitration, Mediation and Dispute Management, February 2013 Edition (CIArb and Sweet & Maxwell).
Sami was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2008 and started his career in a reputable commercial law firm in London working for over two years focusing on high value commercial litigation and arbitration matters, including off-shore litigation taking place in the British Overseas Territories. In Pakistan, he previously worked at a leading law firm in Islamabad where he headed the Dispute Resolution department.
- Lead counsel for energy generating companies against a power purchaser in three connected LCIA Arbitrations relating to claims of breach of contract and payment of liquidated damages.
- Pakistani counsel for a multi-national corporation in SIAC Arbitration in relation to a dispute arising out of an international sale of goods agreement and acting as lead counsel in related High Court and Civil Court proceedings involving the law implementing the New York Convention on enforcement of arbitration agreements and foreign arbitral awards.
- Advised a major telecom company in Pakistan in a dispute with a foreign service provider in respect of international arbitration under the DIFC-LCIA Rules, choice of law issues and enforcement of arbitral awards in Pakistan.
- Counsel for Echo West International (Pvt) Limited against Coca Cola Beverages Pakistan Limited in arbitration proceedings in a construction dispute valuing above USD 36.5 million.
- Part of the team of legal representatives in ICSID and ICC arbitrations and related Supreme Court proceedings in connection with an investment dispute over mineral rights in the Reko Diq Copper and Gold mining project in the Chagai Hills of Balochistan.
- Represented and advised the Pakistan Ordnance Factories in respect of ad hocarbitration with a foreign supplier involving a claim for breach of a contract of supply of materials and services. The value of the dispute was approximately Euros 50 million.
- Counsel for a multinational cement company in ad hoc arbitration proceedings against a storage facility provider concerning a dispute arising out of a warehousing storage agreement.
- Lead Counsel for the petitioner in Eastern Medical Service v Government of Punjab, PLD 2019 Lahore 395 in a judicial review matter under the Constitution of Pakistan involving novel issues relating to the law on partnership firms and the legality of the public procurement process carried out by the Punjab Government to acquire 279 ICU ventilators valuing approx. USD 4 million.
- Lead counsel for a multi-national corporation in High Court proceedings for the enforcement of a foreign arbitral award.
- Lead counsel for Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited in proceedings before the Islamabad High Court pertaining to the arbitrability of disputes arising out of a petroleum concession agreement settled through arbitration.
- Counsel for majority shareholders in a dispute before the Lahore High Court and related Civil Court proceedings relating to allegations of fraudulent transfer of shares a claim under the Companies Act 2017 for rectification of the company register.
- Counsel in Lahore High Court and Civil Court for Al-Meezan Investment Management Fund and Meezan Bank in a Rs. 180 million dispute arising out of complex transactions and allegations of fraud pertaining to Sukuk bonds on the Central Depository System.
- Counsel for OMV (Pakistan) Exploration GmbH and associated companies in multiple international arbitration related litigation in the High Court of Islamabad and Civil Court involving disputes arising out of a petroleum concession agreement and assignment of rights in the concession.
- Lead counsel for private investors before the High Court of Islamabad in a challenge to the Securities and Exchange Commission’s investigations regarding alleged securities market manipulation.
- Lead counsel for private landowners in a dispute against the Provincial Government before the Peshawar High Court in respect of high value land holdings in the Khyber Pukhtunkhwa of province.
- Lead counsel in various cases for clients in the hotel industry, tobacco industry and mobile phone industry in claims for infringement of trademarks before the Intellectual Property Tribunal, Lahore.
- Lead counsel for a major trading corporation in multiple civil suit proceedings in the Sindh High Court in respect of breaches of freight forwarding contracts and damages claims in the amount of USD 18 million and USD 1.4 million.
- Lead counsel for a former employee of a multinational company in High Court and Civil Court proceedings in a dispute pertaining to forum selection clauses in international contracts and application of conflict of law rules in Pakistan.
- Lead counsel in over 24 separate High Court proceedings representing the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority concerning the recovery of regulatory fees from telecom companies. The claims were worth amounts between Rs. 500 million and Rs. 3 billion.
- Lead counsel in various judicial review actions brought under the Constitution of Pakistan against various State organizations pertaining to national security and other administrative law matters.
- Pakistan chapter of Arbitration 2019 – Getting the Deal Through published by Law Business Research
- “International Commercial Arbitration: Developments in the Practice of Taking Evidence”, International Journal of Arbitration, Mediation and Dispute Management (2013) 79 Arbitration Issue 1 (CIArb and Sweet & Maxwell)