Uzair started legal practice in 1997 by taking over the firm started by his father, Mr. Justice (Retd.) Karamat Nazir Bhandari.
Uzair is consistently praised by both clients and judges alike as “a phenomenon” for his “very strong courtroom skills and an encyclopedic knowledge of Pakistani case law.”He has had a role in developing local jurisprudence in numerous areas of the law and has a number of reported judgments to his credit. He has been ranked as one of the top litigators in Pakistan by Chambers & Partners since 2005.
Uzair is an avid tennis player and is slowly preparing himself for the day when he will no longer be able to watch Roger Federer play. Uzair’s renowned knowledge of caselaw is well matched by his knowledge of Urdu poetry, particularly Faiz and Ghalib.
- Lead counsel for Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limitedin alarge number of petitions filed by textile units in the Lahore High Court seeking implementation of a subsidy announced by the Government of Pakistan in the prices of RLNG and challenging the gas bills issued by the client.
- Lead counsel for Sindh Revenue Boardin an appeal before the Supreme Court of Pakistan against a judgement of the High Court of Sindh wherein it has been held that builders and developers, who, respectively, construct apartment buildings and develop housing schemes for sale of apartments and plots of land to allottees, do not provide any “services” and, as such, do not fall within the ambit of the Sindh Sales Tax on Services Act, 2011.
- Lead counsel for Dalda Foods Limitedin a number of public interest matters before the Supreme Court of Pakistan involving labelling of various food products, especially products which could mistakenly be assumed by the average consumer to be natural milk, such as infant formula. Also acting for Dalda Foods Limited in a number of petitions before the Lahore High Court concerning the issue of freedom of inter-provincial trade and whether the power to regulate such trade vests with the Federation or individual provinces.
- Acted for and advised Packages Limited and Packages Construction (Private) Limited in its disputes with Walton Cantonment Board, Lahore, including filing petitions before the Lahore High Court on different issues such asdemands for payment of extremely exaggerated regulatory fees of different kinds and an inflated demand for property tax.
- Representing United Foam Industries (Private) Limitedin its dispute with National Bank of Pakistan regarding the renewal of its finance facilities.
- Advising a major telecom company on Pakistani and international law concerning resisting the enforcement of an award in Pakistan under the law which implements the New York Convention.
Notable Reported Cases
- Citi Bank v. Riaz Ahmed, 2000 CLC 847
- Muhammad Kashif Vs Major (Retd) Atta ullah Butt, 2003 MLD 1017
- Ravi Glass Vs ICI, 2004 YLR 2503
- Bari Rice Mills v. PASSCO, 2007 CLD 857
- Muhammad Yasin v. Government of the Punjab through Secretary Housing and Physical Planning Department, 2010 YLR 2207
- Taisei v. AMC, PLD 2012 Lah 455
- Nawab Sher v. Muneer Ahmad, 2013 SCMR 1035
- Sultan ul Arfeen v. DOR, CDG, Karachi, 2013 CLD 1280
- AM Construction Co. v. NHA, 2015 CLD 130=2017 CLC 178
- Mian Javaid Amir v. United Foam Industries, 2016 SCMR 213
- United Foam v. Joy Foam, 2016 CLD 2325
- Reference No. 2 of 2005 by the President of Pakistan, PLD 2005 SC 873 (Hisba reference)