Mian Sami ud Din
Partner, Bhandari Naqvi Riaz
- Barrister-at-Law, LLM (City Lond)
- Advocate High Court of Pakistan
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK
[email protected] +92 300 514 1064
Mian Sami ud-Din is a Partner at the law firm Bhandari Naqvi Riaz (BNR). He is a qualified Barrister (unregistered) having been called to the bar by the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn and an Advocate of the High Courts of Pakistan. He has a broad commercial practice of contentious and non-contentious work.
On the contentious side, he acts as counsel in commercial dispute matters and appears regularly before the High Courts in Pakistan. He also has in-depth experience in international arbitration and has acted as counsel and advised in matters under the LCIA, ICC, SIAC, UNICTRAL and ICSID rules.
As part of his non-contentious practice he advises clients on corporate transactions, regulatory compliance and general business advice in the Technology, Media and Telecommunication sector and the Finance sector.
He is ranked by the international directory Chambers and Partners as an “Up and Coming” practitioner in General Commercial Dispute Resolution in Pakistan. Client feedback noted by Chambers and Partners say that he has a “‘very masterful understanding of disputes matters,’” and describe him as “‘an excellent arbitration lawyer’”.
Sami also takes appointments as an arbitrator and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK. He is also on the panel of arbitrators of the SAARC Arbitration Council, nominated by the Government of Pakistan. He is also appointed by the Pakistan Rugby Union as its Judicial Officer and hears disciplinary matters arising out of the game of rugby and official matches played in Pakistan under the World Rugby Regulations.
He has previously worked in a reputable firm in London for over two years focusing on high value commercial litigation and arbitration matters, including off-shore litigation taking place in the British Overseas Territories. Prior to BNR Sami also worked at a leading law firm in Islamabad where he headed the Litigation department.
- 2019 Diploma in International Arbitration, CIArb, UK
- 2013 Certificate in International Investment Arbitration, Arbitration Academy, Paris
- 2009 LLM in Professional Legal Skills, City University, UK
- 2008 Bar Vocational Course, Inns of Court School of Law, UK
- 2007 LLB (Hons.), University of London
- Pakistan – Data Breach Guidance Note (April 2021, OneTrust DataGuidance)
- Pakistan: New Rules to Control Social Media (March 2021, OneTrust DataGuidance, https://www.dataguidance.com/opinion/pakistan-new-rules-control-social-media)
- Arbitration (Lexology, Getting the Deal Through) – Pakistan Chapter (2019, 2020 and 2021 Edition, Law Business Research)
- International Investment Arbitration and the Conduct of National Courts (SARCO Newsletter 7th Ed., December 2019)
- International Commercial Arbitration: Developments in the Practice of Taking Evidence (Internationa
- Journal of Arbitration, Mediation and Dispute Management, 79 Arbitration Issue 1, February 2013 Edition, Sweet & Maxwell)
- Speaker on Webinar held by SAARC Arbitration Council on “Arbitration Related Developments in Pakistan – The Way Forward”, April 2021
- Speaker at CIICA, Pakistan’s conference on International Arbitration, November 2019
- Speaker on International Investment Arbitration at a seminar conducted by the Research Society of International Law in collaboration with Konrad-Adenauer Stiftung in November 2013
- Lecturer on International Arbitration on the International Law Certification Course conducted by the Research Society of International Law, Pakistan
- Lecturer on Introduction to Islamic Law at The Institute of Legal Studies, Islamabad (University of London, LLB Curriculum), 2011 – 2014
Areas of Expertise
- Foreign Investment
- Media and Telecommunication
- Data Protection and Privacy
- Securities Regulation and Company Law
- Financial Services
- Intellectual Property
- Energy, Oil & Gas
- Natural Resources
- Infrastructure and Construction
- Public and Private International Law
- Constitutional Law